The desktop window manager takes up a lot of CPU. Recently, some users found that as long as the browser tab is opened more and more, or there are more running tasks, the memory occupied by the desktop window manager will become larger and larger, and the system will not automatically recycle the extra memory, as shown in the figure below.
Solution 1: update the display driver
Since the desktop window manager causes high CPU utilization on win10 system, if it is indeed a driver error, the graphics card driver should be blamed.
For many novices, it seems difficult to find the exact display driver of win10 system on the official website.
In this way, you can use driver doctor, an automatic tool for win10 system driver update.
You can rely on updating the graphics driver to handle this desktop window manager with too many CPU problems on win10 systems.
1. Install driver doctor on PC.
2. By referring to the instructions on the driver doctor interface, click Scan now to obtain the drivers and download them one by one.
Within the click, the driver doctor will be in the win10 system. Download all display drivers for you from embedded or integrated graphics card drivers (such as Intel and AMD drivers).
Equipped with the latest driver, you can try to restart your PC to see if the desktop window manager will cause high CPU failure to disappear from the win10 system.
If not, you will start to solve the CPU problem of computer performance.
Solution 2: change wallpaper and theme
As you know, the desktop window manager is used to manage desktop utilization. Therefore, if the high CPU is caused by DWM and exe on win10 system (you can view it in task manager), you can try to adjust some related settings, such as desktop wallpaper and theme.
1. Right click the desktop and select personalize from the list.
2. In the left pane, select a theme, and then apply the theme to your computer.
Here, you can also set, change the background, color, lock the screen and taskbar.
Then close this personalization window and open Task Manager to check CPU usage again. It may be that the desktop window manager high CPU error of win10 system has been corrected.
Solution 3: tune for optimal performance
As for the high CPU performance problems caused by DWM and exe, there is another method to choose from. More specifically, it is to modify the performance options.
1. Open the control panel;
2. In control panel, search for performance in the search box. Then choose from the results to adjust the appearance and performance of windows.
3. In performance options, under virtual effects, select tune for best performance. Then click OK.
At this time, the high CPU in the task manager in the desktop window manager will no longer be generated.
Solution 4: resolve windows performance issues
If the above method is not feasible to solve the high CPU problem of DWM and exe on win10 system, please try troubleshooting with windows command.
1. Search the search box for a command prompt, and then right-click the best match to run as an administrator.
2. At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press enter to perform the operation. msdt、exe / id PerformanceDiagnostic
3. The performance window pops up. Click next to continue with performance troubleshooting.
If you are lucky, the win10 system will inform you of specific performance errors. Maybe it can also solve it. In this case, the high CPU in the desktop window manager will disappear from your PC.
Solution 5: scan for malware or viruses
Some people believe that the desktop window manager is the official Microsoft Service of windows system. It is not a virus on win10 system. But the case is that some malware or applications replace it. This is the way to run in the background. Sometimes, DWM and exe will cause the CPU on the PC to be too high. For greater security, it is not recommended that you decide to use any third-party software to scan your computer. You will make full use of the built-in tools of Windows Defender and win10 system to protect and scan viruses.
1. Click the start button and enter Windows Defender in the search box.
2. Press enter to open the Windows Defender security center.
3. Select virus and threat protection in Windows Defender.
In the search results, the Windows Defender security center will let you know which software is accompanied by viruses or win10 system threats. Once it prompts you for any problematic applications, uninstall it in the management panel. In addition to an effective solution to deal with the high CPU utilization of desktop window manager (DWM, exe) on win10 system, some users prefer to know how to permanently disable it in order to make this high CPU problem disappear.
How to disable desktop window manager on win10 system:
Stopping the desktop window manager service is simple. If you are willing to do so, please follow the following procedure.
1. Press windows + R to activate the run box.
2. Type service, MSc in the box, and then click OK to run the services window.
3. In services, locate the desktop window manager and right-click it to open its properties.
4. In the desktop window manager properties window, under the General tab, under exact startup type, select to treat it as disabled.
5. Restart your computer for it to take effect.
The above explanation is the detailed solution to the high memory consumption of win10 desktop window manager. If you encounter the same situation, you can learn the above steps to solve it.