1、 Basic knowledge
1) Designed for shared access, exchange public folders provide an easy and effective way to collect, organize, and share information with others. Public folders organize content in a deep structure that is easy to navigate, and users can see the full hierarchy in outlook, which makes it easier for them to browse the content of interest.
2) The function of public folder is powerful. It can be deployed based on the permission of active directory, such as:
- Who can access which public folders?
- Who can send mail in public folder?
- Who can see these public folders?
- Who has permission to create new messages?
- Who has read access only?
- Who has the right to delete?
3) In short, the public folder is like an FTP server for users to use, and the corresponding permissions can be set.
4) In exchange 2013, public folder has been improved once again by canceling the independent public folder database. However, it is not to cancel the public folder function, but to put this function in the mailbox. In this way, when deploying high availability, the public folder uses its own high availability mode, and the mailbox database uses DAG high availability mode. Now only DAG is needed to realize the high availability of public folder and mailbox database.
5) The public folder of exchange 2013 is suitable for outlook web app, Outlook 2007, Outlook 2010, outlook 2013 and outlook for Mac clients of exchange 2013.
2、 Example description
2.1. Establish three public folders, namely:
1) Company: the main function is to inform and announce the whole company. Set the permissions so that everyone can see them but can’t change them. Only it02 has the right to publish.
2) Management personnel: mainly for some notices and announcements of the management. The management personnel have management, editing and other permissions, but ordinary employees can not see this public folder.
3) Employee: a public folder set up mainly for ordinary employees. Ordinary employees can edit and publish information, but managers can’t see this public folder.
2.2. Establish three safety groups, namely:
1) All: contains members IT01 and it02.
2) Management: the security group contains member IT01.
3) Normal: includes member it02.
3、 Create public folder
3.1. You must first create a public folder mailbox before you can create a public folder. The public folder mailbox contains the hierarchical information and content of public folders. The first public folder mailbox created is the primary hierarchy mailbox, which contains a write only copy of the hierarchy. All other public folder mailbox are secondary and contain a read-only copy of the hierarchy.
3.2. On the exchange server DC1, click the windows start menu, find “exchange administrative center”, and then click.
3.2. Click “public folder”, select “public folder mailbox”, and then click “new public folder mailbox”. Enter the name in the pop-up window, and click “Browse” to select the organizational unit and mailbox database.
3.3. Select “public folder”, click “new public folder”, enter the name, and click “save”.
3.4. Select the “company” public folder and click “enable” in the right window bar to enable the mail function of the public folder, so that users can send e-mail to the public folder to publish information to this folder.
3.5. Click “manage” in the right window bar to set the corresponding access rights for the public folder, and set the “all” security member as the reviewer.
3.6 create the “management” and “employee” public folder in the same way, and set the “management” security member as the author of the “management” public folder, and the “common” security member as the author of the “employee” public folder.
4、 Edit public folder
4.1 modify alias and email address
4.1.1 after the public folder is created, because the public folder name is Chinese, the public folder alias and email address will display garbled code after the mailbox is enabled. You need to change the public folder name manually or use English public folder name directly.
4.1.2 take the company’s public folder as an example, please modify the alias and email address of the three public files in turn.
4.2 modify default permissions
4.2.1 for public folder in exchange 2013, the default user has the author edit permission by default. It is necessary to remove the permission of the default user to give different permissions to different users. Moreover, this modification can not be realized in EAC, and the permission of public folder can only be viewed through EMS.
4.2.2 on the exchange server DC1, click the windows start menu, find “exchange manager shell”, and then click.
4.2.3 take the company’s public folder as an example, please modify the default permissions of three public files in turn.
Remove publicfolderclientpermission / company - user default
4.2.4 after completing the above work, you can log in as different users to outlook or OWA to verify the function of public folder.
5、 Verify public folder
5.1. Log in to outlook client as IT01 and it02 respectively to test the public folder settings.
5.2. If the public folder is not displayed in outlook by default, you need to manually turn on the public folder display. Click the “…” icon at the bottom of the left window bar of outlook, and then select the “folder” option to open the public folder items of outlook.
5.3. Right click on the public folder and select properties to view your permissions in the summary page.
5.4 the final explanation is as follows:
1) Do not use public folders for mailbox data archiving. This affects the amount of storage in public folders, and it is recommended to use in place archiving as an archive solution.
2) Do not use public folders for document sharing and collaboration. Because public folders do not provide version control or other document management capabilities, it is recommended that you use SharePoint as a document sharing solution.